Just a reminder, there are a few requirements for the Cyber Chip and Digital Technology merit badge that you need to do as home. If you have not completed them please make an effort to do so before our meeting on September 11th, 2018.
These requirements are:
- Discuss with your parents the appropriate use of computer and mobile devices
- Watch three “Real-Life Story” on http://www.netsmartz.com/scouting. Be prepared to talk about one of the videos that you watched.
6. Do THREE of the following. For each project, you complete, copy the files to a backup device and share the finished projects with your counselor.
- a. Using a spreadsheet or database program, develop a food budget for a patrol weekend campout OR create a troop roster that includes the name, rank, patrol, and telephone number of each Scout. Show your counselor that you can sort the roster by each of the following categories: rank, patrol, and alphabetically by name.
- b. Using a word processor, write a draft letter to the parents of your troop’s Scouts, inviting them to a troop event.
- c. Using a graphics program, design and draw a campsite plan for your troop OR create a flier for an upcoming troop event, incorporating text and some type of visual such as a photograph or an illustration.
- d. Using a presentation software program, develop a report about a topic approved by your counselor. For your presentation, create at least five slides, with each one incorporating text and some type of visual such as a photograph or an illustration.
- e. Using a digital device, take a picture of a troop activity. Send or transfer this image to a device where it can be shared with your counselor.
- f. Make a digital recording of your voice, transfer the file to a different device, and have your counselor play back the recording.
- g. Create a blog and use it as an online journal of your Scouting activities, including group discussions and meetings, campouts, and other events. Include at least five entries and two photographs or illustrations. Share your blog with your counselor. You need not post the blog to the Internet; however, if you choose to go live with your blog, you must first share it with your parents AND counselor AND get their approval.
- h. Create a Web page for your troop, patrol, school, or place of worship. Include at least three articles and two photographs or illustrations. Include at least one link to a website of interest to your audience. You need not post the page to the Internet; however, if you decide to do so, you must first share the Web page with your parents AND counselor AND get their approval.
9. Do ONE of the following:
- a. Investigate three career opportunities that involve digital technology. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.
- b. Visit a business or an industrial facility that uses digital technology. Describe four ways digital technology is being used there. Share what you learned with your counselor.